Sunday, September 13, 2009

Terry Fox Run 2009


Mattias, Aia, Viggo, Sacha, her parents, and I all did the Terry Fox Run in Port Moody this morning under beautiful sunny skies.


Terry's story is very well known amongst Canadians young and old... so well known that I get kids coming up to me all the time saying, "Hey you're just like Terry Fox!" (Casual readers note: I am an amputee, as was Terry. He above knee and myself below knee.)

If you have a moment to update yourself on one of our greatest heroes you can watch a bit of the video below... it's a bit of a tear-jerker (at least for some... like me...) If you can't fit the whole 5:36 into your day, start at 3:00.




We (Canadians) all know that Terry's Marathon of Hope started the fundraising machine that has turned into the Terry Fox Foundation. We may not all know that it has raised over $400 million for cancer research.

Here's my question: Did Terry's run also mark the start of charity events (especially running) raising money for all sorts of things?

If not how did that get started? Any sports historians out there?

Until I have an answer I'm crediting Terry.



Cheers,

Meyrick

Tweet this!

2 comments:

Ulyana said...

I didn't know about Terry Fox. I'm glad you shared this.

JC said...

That's so great that the entire family was able to take part in this.
Amazing person Terry Fox!!!
You are too, but I think the post was focusing on Terry!!!
Cheers and hope you are well!