Thursday, December 6, 2007

Respect

re·spect (rĭ-spěkt') Pronunciation Key

1. To feel or show deferential regard for; esteem.

This potential new goal has been rattling around in my head for a few days now... I am about to set the wheels in motion to give myself a chance of succeeding. (For another day's post.)

After the initial idea hit me I was pretty pumped. It wasn't long before I was visualizing myself atop a podium surrounded by interconnected rings.

NEWSFLASH - You've never even done this! Have some respect!

It hit me last night... I was reading and researching the sport (getting a little obsessive - YouTube videos, websites, blogs....) This might actually be VERY hard and/or impossible. That's when the respect kicked in. (And I imagine it might kick in with a bit more vehemence when I actually hit the trails...)

BUT, 2 things occurred to me:

What if I fail?: I don't know the exact phrase but it goes something like "To have tried and failed is better than to have not tried at all." AND... there are bound to be some successes and a worthwhile journey along the way.

What if I succeed?: Goal/Dream = Achieved. Stories to tell my kids ad nauseum for the next 60 years.

Those are the only two outcomes.... not bad. I'll go there.

Like the old Japanese proverb says, "Fall down 7 times, get up 8." I suppose it will probably be more like "Fall down 700 times, get up 701." (On that proverb for a moment... shouldn't it be get up 7.... I never got that.)

Anyway, I will press-on with this goal.... I'm too excited not to....

Tweet this!

No comments: