Monday, February 16, 2009

Rough Weekend - but it's a New Week!

It was a pretty rough weekend around here.  There is a gnarly wave of sickness running through this peaceful hamlet....  It had Mattias, then Aia and finally Sacha down for the count this weekend.  Viggo and I are holding strong though...  *knocking on wood*


Actually Mattias was a victim late last week and was actually fully recovered in time for the weekend and so we were training buddies on Saturday (him = Otters, me = Masters) + a Lighthouse Park trail run.

The trail run was so awesome on Saturday we decided to repeat it on Sunday with full camera support.  Mattias is a super fast trail runner - there were several times I thought to myself "I wouldn't actually be going any faster by myself."  He is a descending maniac.






I even shot a video... unfortunately, Welcome to the Jungle (Mattias' favourite song) didn't make it by the YouTube copyright police... so it's a silent film.



I am gearing up for an exciting week.  Wednesday, Thursday and Friday I will be taking part in a track cycling camp organized by CCA.  Two hours of track time per day and probably a few road rides with the fellas.  It should be pretty awesome.

I actually have that "butterflies" feeling - like the one you get before your first triathlon - I have never ridden on a track, add in a single speed track bike with no brakes and no free wheel - it could get ugly.  (Hopefully it will go better than that first open water swim start though...)


Tweet this!

11 comments:

Missy said...

Oh man, I'm jealous! I really want to try a track but would be scared too. Do you think it's like open water swim start where you get to push and shove off each other?

What great pictures of the both of you. That is so great!

Chloe said...

Awesome pictures! Thanks for sharing them! Runs always seem to be a bit more entertaining with good company and amazing views :)

Wow - bike tracks freak me out. I'm not going to lie. I would never want to get on one! Good luck!!

Ulyana said...

I'm in awe of that track!!! MUST BE BEYOND AWESOME to ride on it!

MJ said...

...we'll see - I'll tell you tomorrow!

Vincent said...

I like the skidding down the rock, thats great!

Where are these trails exactly?

Jo Lynn said...

You are so lucky to have company like THAT on a trail run. And the scenery is great. Lucky you. ;)

MJ said...

Lighthouse Park, West Vancouver. You go into the parking lot and take the first trail to the right... There's a beautiful network of trails - if you ever want to run in there let me know - it's 2 mins from my house - I'll show you around.

Ryan D said...

your son's a natural!

PC Ironman said...

Funny you say that about the track. Last time I rode on a track was when I had two good legs and I told my coach about being super nervous about it as well but lets get out there and give 'er hell! hasta manana

Anonymous said...

My husband and I were up around lighthouse park this weekend too. You are so lucky to live there. We also love Seaview Trail leading up onto the Baden Powell. The photos of you and your son running together are so sweet.

MJ said...

Thanks Jen! He is turning into a great little companion for this sort of thing.... in another year his sister should be able to join us!