Saturday, April 18, 2009

Sun Run 2009


I would like to wish everyone taking part in the Vancouver Sun Run tomorrow GOOD LUCK.


That includes about 55,000 people so I'll be more specific:

GOOD LUCK to all the runners on the 
INNOVATIVE FITNESS Corporate Team

I'm not sure how many runners IF has in the race this year (last year it was 157!!!) but I do know that it is always inspiring to see so many people out there taking on their first (or 20th) 10km race.

Normally I would be competing in this race, and until yesterday at 3pm I thought I was...  As it turns out there was some type of screw-up and my FAXED Corporate Team Registration was never processed - therefore I had no chip, no number, no t-shirt - as far as the Sun Run was concerned I did not exist.

The moral of the story is always register online.  Groundbreaking - I know.  It's like saying that it is a good idea to continue breathing or to drink water....  

On that note why do FAX machines still exist?  And don't say "so people can sign stuff and send it in" - they usually want the original anyway.  Fax machines are so 1990 and I, for one, do not dig them one bit.

Having said all of that I am not too disappointed - I don't really need a 10km road race right now.  Not to say I couldn't use some run training, I certainly could.... but I don't need to throw down an all out effort right now having done little other than ride a bike for the last two months.

I have been actively targeting my cycling over the last 8 weeks to a point where I am really seeing some improvement.  I am going to begin to run bricks with some regularity in preparation for ESCAPE from Alcatraz.  My strategy is to continue to focus on the bike and ramp the running back up over the next few weeks - but the bike is KING this year.

I have also decided that MAY 3rd (a Sunday) will be my inaugural Batchelor Bay Open Water Swim for 2009.  Yes, it may be somewhat of a polar bear swim, but I also need to get tough for San Francisco Bay.  Feel free to join me....  the exact date is flexible (as long as it falls between Friday May 1 and Sunday May 3) - I will go whenever anyone else brave enough to join me can go.  Yes that was a challenge...


Tweet this!

8 comments:

Missy said...

OUCH, sounds chilly. Makes me cold just thinking about it! Sorry about the run BUT it sounds like you're good with that. Mmm, was this fax debacle planned, mmm?;o)

MJ said...

For the record... My reg. was faxed in with dozens of others from IF.

DC said...

The Bay is a balmy 9 C. See you there!

K Holden said...

Hi Meyrick,

The same thing happened to me, and 2 of my friends; no registration, no t-shirt, no chip. I wanted to be positive so I just ran a 10k and imagined that I was there. I couldn't see trying to fake my entry into the run.

Next year, I'll register online too! Lesson learned.

Jo Lynn said...

Yup, you'd better prepare yourself for our cold, cold bay water. Couldn't get me in there. LOL

James Greenwood said...

MJ -

I to do not know why fax machines still exist, and I don't think you missed much at the Sun Run - 55 000 people! No PR's that is for sure.

Gotta Run..... said...

Fax machines..are so OVER :)

You have some neat event coming up.

Did I miss the "reason" you have been extra busy. I read your post twice....

prozac said...

Fax machines are what people too terrified (or too stupid) to use computers have to send messages quickly. You'd be surprised just how many industries are still using them simply because someone in the higher end of the chain of command is terrified of a keyboard and monitor.