Saturday, June 21, 2008

Cooking Post (these are rare...)

I suppose I should try to make a habit of cooking more often.  Maybe even often enough that I don't feel the need to document the occasion with a blog post.  Well, today it wasn't just that I cooked, it was the awesome result of the cooking act that inspired this rare culinary submission.  I could title the post "Fueling" if I wanted to make it fit better with my usual sport-related subject matter, but that would be a stretch...  instead this post will stand alone (for now) as an oddity.  Don't worry Sacha - I will try to give it some company...


Anyway, today was a rest day... spent hanging out with Sacha and the kids.  It culminated with a great team-cooking effort.  Check this out:

Beer Can Chicken with Potato Salad and Heirloom Tomato Salad

The beer can chicken was my project for tonight...  If you haven't already, I highly recommend you try this BBQ classic.  For those that have never heard of it - there is a half a can of Stella Artois jammed up inside the chicken during cooking (not visible in these photos...) - the can bubbles away keeping the chicken super-moist and extra yummy.


Before - With the BBQ rub in place and the 1/2 full beer can inside...



After - Crispy on the outside, moist on the inside...  sitting up this way, all of the grease runs off which is nice.



Voila...  mighty tasty with Sacha's Potato and radish salad and Heirloom tomatoes.  Add a glass of Oyster Bay Sauvignon Blanc and you've got yourself a pretty fine meal.

Apart from the obvious dramatic appeal of this meal, the leftover chicken (enough for a few sandwiches) is pretty awesome.

In other news...  Tomorrow is a big riding day.  Kevin and I are going to tackle the Triple Crown - Seymour, Grouse and Cypress.  I expect it to be horrendously grueling...  Kevin, being a featherweight (and a hard-training cyclist), will glide up the hills - leaving me to grind my way up....  but this work has to be done.  Reminds me - I was supposed to roller ski up Cypress on Thursday - the session was postponed or you would have certainly heard all about it by now!

Jumping around a bit in this post...  Friday morning was my only Masters Session this week.  Viggo hasn't been sleeping too well and 5:20am is hard enough when I have a good sleep!  The workout went well...  sometimes a few days off helps a lot with the swimming - too many more though and I will start to slip.  

Friday afternoon featured another hardcore tready session with Rob at IF.  We are killing it on the treadmill these days.  This time we threw down:

- 10 x 2 minutes @ level 10 (1 incline)
- with a variety of exercises between each interval (some tough, some easy)


On the treadmill in my new yellow and blue workout gear.

Ha ha... I crack myself up...  The 10 two minute intervals were definitely tougher than the week before (15 x 1 minute with incline increasing).  We are creeping towards failure - but haven't reached it yet!  This progression will definitely result in one of us throwing in the towel eventually (I just hope it is him before me!)  In the meantime it is good to know that at least once a week there is going to be an intense physical and mental test.

Enjoy your Sunday!

Tweet this!

No comments: