Thursday, December 4, 2008

Nor-Ams Trip - Day 4 & 5

Hopefully you guys aren't totally bored by my Nor-Ams trip....  I ski for 2-3 hours a day so that leaves lots of time to tell you stuff - more than you wanted to know I am sure...


We have had quite beautiful weather - cold and sunny.  Today it was -15C which caused me to have to wear two pairs of tights.  I accidentally left my wind-proof underwear at home which has caused moments of "discomfort" - especially in the late afternoon as the temp. drops.  Anywhoo...

There are rumours of snow in the forecast and it would be good if they were accurate... the trails are a little bare and hard.  Not complainin', just sayin'.

I am feeling better about the upcoming race... but I have no doubt that it will be one of the biggest challenges of my racing career.  By "biggest" I mean "most painful".  This sport delivers pain very efficiently...  and 15km is plenty of time to experience LOTS of it.  It's going to be nice to finish.

Here are some photos:

That's Jeff Whiting.  He is the coordinator of the Canadian Para-Nordic Development Team.

Jeff and I got lost momentarily on Wednesday during a practice loop.

This is the Rotary Stadium at Sovereign Lake Nordic Centre.  "Stadium" in Nordic racing refers to the big flat area where the start line and finish line are located.  Usually there will be music, an announcer and millions of screaming fans... (give or take 999,700 fans.)

I'd like to introduce you to my invisible friend.  Ha ha - I crack myself up.  Maybe I am going crazy here?


More evidence...  crazy person hat.  Actually I love this hat but it can only be worn in -10c or colder temperatures and you must be prepared for teasing.

Cheers, thanks for reading!

Tweet this!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

No, keep the posts coming. I'm finding them really interesting.

Now, the million screaming fans would be pretty accurate if you were racing in Norway. They know there x-country over there.

Good luck in the race. I hope the conditions are good for it.

PC Ironman said...

crazy, yeah, just like that guy that lived in the bus in Alaska, he sorta looks like you now that you mention it, especially in that hat

Kim Hexter said...

I love these posts. Like Chad, I find them interesting.
Oh, and you crack me up too.

Vincent said...

I like how in normal day to day conversation, the issue of forgetting underwear and having "discomfort" would normally be a faux pas, but in the sporting world, its all understood far too well

Anonymous said...

~laughing~ the hat is a real winner, M...
Good luck in the race!!!

Barbara