Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Trip recap... and photo post.

OK, I told you all about my race on the weekend.  I like to try to keep the race reports as focused as I can to avoid hitting the 32,000 word mark.  Here, on the other hand, I have written a lot... but I give you lots of photos as well... 


So, here is a little breakdown of the trip vibe...

This was a road trip/race trip - one of my favourite things to do.  There is nothing quite like loading up the van with all manner of sports gear and heading out for a sunny small town somewhere...

Deb was coming for the 5km Open Water Swim race on Saturday and to be my assistant on Sunday (though she didn't know that until Saturday.)

The drive to Kelowna was actually grueling...  my van's air-conditioning has finally succumbed after a long fight (it had been a little screwed for 2 years.)  So we were forced to travel at 100 - 120 km/h with the windows open or sweat with them closed.  I have to admit that it sucked a lot.  

About an hour outside of Kelowna, I had to let Deb take over behind the wheel - I was bagged....  fortunately, she is a good driver so I was able to fall asleep in about 12 seconds flat.

We got into to town and headed straight for the race venue (hers and mine).  She attended a pre-race meeting and we watched the Aquathlon and the 1500m Open Water Race...  I love watching people compete.  I was once driving along and saw a soccer field with what looked like a shoot-out about to go down.  I pulled my van over and watched the 12 year-olds in this pressure packed situation - by the end of it I was friends with one whole team's parents.  They won too....  it was cool.



After getting Deb figured out for Saturday's race we checked into the Hiawatha RV park.  It was completely acceptable - in a nice part of town, lots of trees, decent facilities and quiet after 10pm.  We were camping but we didn't have any of the nerdy camp stuff like chairs, lanterns, carpets, tablecloths etc.  Some people are seriously pro about their camping...

Pre-Race Meeting - 5km Open Water Swim

Anyway, we wrapped up our Friday night at the Pheasant and Quail watching the Olympics....  (Note: This paragraph will be repeated for Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights.)  


Terrible shot....  but I had to capture the P&Q since we went there three times.

Saturday morning we dined at the Marmalade Cat which I have been to every time I go to Kelowna...  good spot for breakfast.

Later, after a little delay, and under the burning hot sun (37C), Deb entered the water for her race.  It was a field of about 15-20 swimmers and the course was 5 x 1km laps.  Non-wetsuit.  The non-wetsuit ruling resulted in a sweet sunburn for Deb.  My take: Sunburns are awesome - means you we're out doing something!  Deb's take:  Sunburns really suck - ouch don't touch my shoulder!  Interesting how burn ownership effects your perspective on these things...

Darren Smith (an AWAD athlete I competed with in Vancouver) and I watched Deb's whole race while trying to hydrate and avoid the sun.  It was as hot as when you open the oven to see if your pizza is done...  

Deb ended up gutting out the swim - it wasn't a perfect day for her and she was fighting it a bit so it was a good effort to get to the line.  If she starts her own blog you'll be able to read all of her excellent race reports....  hint, hint!


Darren is a chiropractor so he stretched Deb out before the race...

Last minute briefing...

Deb about to start...

Deb making the turn....

Darren spectating...


Darren's Orbea...

After her race Darren and I met up with Scott Patterson (Canada's top wheelchair triathlete) and I took them for a tour of the bike course - we got a tad lost but they got the gist...  


Deb flashing her "coaching" credentials...  

Another day down... Phaesant and Quail....  Olympics....  Phelps 8 for 8, Usain Bolt and the Canadian Men's 8's - what a night in Beijing!  Awesome!

To bed early in the Eurovan.  Deb ditched her tent and went for the air-conditioning in Darren's RV - said something about her back being a little hot....

Sunday was race day and I covered that in my previous post.  What I left out was that at the awards I won a Blue Seventy wetsuit!  It was so awesome!  I don't win prizes like this...  I have a knack for winning the crap prize (like a race hat from the 2001 Apple or something like that...)


This is the Blue Seventy Helix.  I figure I will top up the dollar amount so I can upgrade to the top-of-the-line model...

After the awards it was time to watch the Elite race.  Brent McMahon was in town and I was looking forward to watching him rip it up.

I got some awesome photos:

Brent coming out of T2... 


And winning the National Championship.  

I was pleased to see Brent rock it - it has been a trying year for him.

He destroyed the field on the run and cruised home accompanied by lightning strikes and thunder claps.  It was awesome!

We made tracks right after the race and headed for the Pheasant and Quail, then the highway.  The drive home was powered by caffeine and thank goodness it was a bit cooler than the drive on Friday.

Other notes from the weekend:  

- Chelsea Raymond, an IF trainer, qualified for Sprint Distance World Championships in Australia next year with a solid result in the 18-24 age group.  Lets get the same flight!

- Darren, Scott and myself all qualified for Olympic distance World Championships in Australia.

- Kim Wedgerfield, another friend at the race also registered a great time and will be eligible for Australia.

- Carol Slater, an IF customer and friend placed 2nd in her age group (also World's eligible) AND she would have won the Trek bike if she stayed for the awards!

Scott in his race chair - with one of his race assistants (left) and with Kim's son (right).

"It was like this".... telling stories while waiting for a massage.

Darren - bike model...


From left to right:  Steve Archdekin, Kim Wedgerfield, Darren Smith, Scott Patterson, me.

Tweet this!

No comments: