Sunday, September 28, 2008

Classroom Weekend

The overwhelming majority of my weekend was spent in a classroom...  It has been some time since I flexed my scholastic muscles and I won't lie that it was quite grueling to sit there for a day-and-a-half.  The final result is that I am an accredited Triathlon Community Coach.


In my role on the board of TriBC and TriCanada I end up getting a lot of questions from disabled athletes about how to prepare and/or compete.  I have always done my best to answer these questions for people, but it occurred to me that I should at least get a qualification if I was going to dispense information in such a way.

The timing was quite perfect given that the Canadian Forces have expressed interest in my help.  The course basically teaches you generally accepted coaching principles, and prepares you to run safe, effective workouts for individual athletes or groups.  The accreditation also satisfies TriBC's requirements to insure athletes and coaches during your workouts.  

There were some good times outside the classroom this weekend though - Saturday night Sacha, Viggo and I attended two different parties at friends' houses which for us is quite remarkable...  I played Guitar Hero for the first time in the wee hours of Sunday morning and almost needed to be pried off the guitar.  I am staunchly against video games and have been instituting a ban on them at our house...  this has me considering an exemption...

Work calls in the a.m., and I have a heavy training week ahead (with one workout to make up already) so it is off to bed for me....

Hope your weekend was full of good times!


Since I have no photos from the weekend, I thought I would stick with the scholastic theme and provide you with this shot of the school I attended in Ireland from 12-16 years of age.  Campbell College - it was awesome....  straight out of a Harry Potter book or movie.....

And, if you can believe it, we wore uniforms like this in the summer when I was 12.  After 12 we got to wear pants and ditch the cap.... 

Tweet this!

No comments: